There are many reasons that cause snoring, but there are tricks and remedies to stop snoring, and here we leave you the solution to the problem.
To sum up, we will try to answer these questions:
- What causes snoring while sleeping?
- How can you stop snoring at night?
- What is the best home remedy for snoring?
- What sleeping positions stop snoring?
- Is snoring a sign of bad health?
- What to eat to stop snoring?
- Does snore plug really work?
Is snoring a sign of bad health?
Although the origin that causes us to snore can have several causes, if snoring persists we must visit the doctor since one of the reasons that cause it is due to obstructive sleep apnea, which can be associated with cerebrovascular accidents, arterial hypertension or acute myocardial infarction.
However, there are other causes of snoring, as you will see below.
What causes snoring while sleeping?
Although obstructive sleep apnea may exist, not all people who snore have it. There are different reasons why snoring can occur, such as:
- Alcohol consumption can be one of the causes, especially if you drink enough before going to sleep. The reason is because alcohol relaxes the throat muscles and also reduces the natural defenses against airway obstruction.
- A nasal problem can be the trigger for snoring. It can be due to congestion, vegetations or having a deviated nasal septum. In this case, a visit to a specialist is recommended.
- The shape of the mouth also influences snoring, such as having a low and thick palate, which can cause the airway to narrow.
- Overweight people are also predisposed to snoring because of extra tissues in the back of the throat.
- Sleeping in a bad posture is very common among snorers. Snoring is more frequent in people who sleep on their backs. This is due to the effect of gravity on the throat, which narrows the airway. On the other hand, the tongue muscles relax and can partially obstruct the area.
- Sleep deprivation. Not getting enough sleep causes the throat to relax too much and can lead to snoring.
How to stop snoring while sleeping?
There are different general measures that can be taken into account to reduce or avoid snoring during sleep:
- Avoid using antihistamines and/or tranquilizers before going to bed.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages before going to sleep.
- Do not eat too much before going to sleep.
- Avoid a sedentary life. It is advisable to do physical exercise one hour a day.
- Place the bed inclined, trying to raise the headboard.
- Preferably, sleep on your side rather than on your back.
- Avoid extreme tiredness.
- If you snore too much, it is advisable to have a medical examination of the mouth, palate, nose, neck and throat. The practitioner may recommend a sinus X-ray or cavum in the case of children. If the practitioner detects a cause, appropriate measures should be taken:
- Treatment of a nasal allergy or infection.
- Removal of the tonsils or adenoids (known as vegetations).
- Undergoing rhinoplasty surgery.
- Reduction of the size of the palate and throat by surgical intervention.
What is the best home remedy for snoring?
Not everyone who snores has to see a doctor or undergo surgery. In many cases, lifelong remedies can help to stop snoring or to stop snoring less frequently.
- One of home remedies is peppermint and eucalyptus inhalations. They have a great power to open the airways and soothe the throat. The most advisable is to do the inhalations before going to bed. In addition, it is recommended to put a few drops at the head of the bed before going to bed.
- If we talk about inhalations, it is always possible to make a homemade inhaler. We can prepare a saline solution with a cup of water at room temperature, half a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of baking soda.
- When we have congestion or our nose is stuffed up in bed, we will apply a splash of the mixture.
What to eat to stop snoring?
We all know about the excellent properties of honey. One of them is that it is an excellent natural expectorant. It helps us to control throat infections, to reduce respiratory tract irritation, to eliminate phlegm, etc. All these are factors that may be causing snoring. To avoid it, it is best to gargle with an infusion of half a cup of water, raspberry leaves and two tablespoons of honey.
Olive oil can be another of our great allies to stop snoring. It is a remedy used by grandmothers many years ago and it is very effective. Mix a glass of olive oil and 50 grams of rue in an airtight container. Leave it covered for two weeks, strain it and keep it in a container. Apply it before going to sleep on the nostrils and neck. The results can be surprising.
The onion is one of the products that should not be missing in any home, not only because it is indispensable for the kitchen but for its properties to improve different aspects of our health. It is another ancient remedy used by grandmothers that will help reduce snoring. The onion is excellent as a natural decongestant and can easily end the obstruction of the airways. To do this, cut the onion in half and sprinkle salt on it. Then leave it on a plate on the bedside table. You will surely be surprised by the results obtained with this traditional method.
Does snore plug really work?
You can use anti-snoring products, but don’t expect miracles Experts agree that oral devices that advance the jaw are effective for many snorers. The drawback might be their prices, since you can find products at around 200 USD. Another thing is that they have to be made to measure by a dentist familiar with this type of splints.
Nasal dilation adhesive strips are cheaper and brings a simpler solution since they help to open the nasal passages. These strips might be useful when there is nasal congestion, although the effectiveness varies between brands available in the market.
Also, don’t be fooled by the promises of anti-snoring pillow manufacturers. In a clinical trial with these devices, it’s been found that the type of material can help keep the airway more open, but that it is only useful for a small group of snorers.
What sleeping positions stop snoring?
One of the factors can determine a good or bad rest among others is the posture we adopt to sleep. There are numerous studies on correct and incorrect sleeping positions about snoring, but the truth is that, depending on the problem to be addressed, the correct posture may be different.
The position we sleep in, influences possible back or muscular pain, also our breathing. Thus, some sleeping positions makes us prone to snoring at night than others, since they make it difficult to breathe properly.
Here are the pros and cons of the most common sleeping positions. What is the best sleeping position to stop snoring?
Sleeping on your back
Sleeping on your back and with your arms stretched along your body, is a posture that avoids back problems, since the spine rests relaxed without making any effort. However, this is the position that increases snoring the most, since the throat muscles relax and block the airways.
Sleeping on the side
This is undoubtedly the best position to avoid snoring. The head and neck should be aligned, leaving the throat clear for proper breathing. But beware of resting on the limbs, ôr in the morning you can fall victim to annoying cramps. Also known as the fetal position, it is also recommended to avoid back problems.
Sleeping on your stomach
It is said to be one of the worst sleeping positions. It is one of the main causes of back pain, since the back suffers from being in a forced position, although it reduces snoring.